ISTANBUL, Turkiye: Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney on Thursday declared a definitive end to Canada’s traditional relationship with the United States (US).
He announced that the era of deep economic and security integration between the two countries has come to a close.
Speaking to reporters after chairing a Cabinet committee meeting in Ottawa, Carney delivered a candid assessment of bilateral ties while reaffirming Canada’s sovereignty, Anadolu Ajansi (AA) reported.
“The old relationship we had with the US, based on deepening integration of our economies and tight security and military cooperation, is over. What exactly the US does next is unclear.
“But what is clear is that we, as Canadians, have agency. We have power. We are masters in our own home,” he said.
“We will need to dramatically reduce our reliance on the US.
“We will need to pivot our trade relationships elsewhere, and we will need to do things previously thought impossible, at speeds we have not seen in generations,” he added.
The prime minister outlined an ambitious vision for Canadian self-reliance, underlining the need for decisive and swift action.
“We can control our destiny. We can give ourselves much more than any foreign government, including the US, can ever take away,” he stressed.
Carney called for an unprecedented mobilisation across Canada.
“It will take hard work. It will take steady and focused determination from governments, from businesses, from labour, and from Canadians,” he said.
He also pledged a three-pronged response to the new US tariffs, vowing to “fight, protect and build”.
Ottawa, he said, would “fight” the tariffs through retaliatory measures aimed at striking the US hard while minimising the impact on Canada.
Carney further committed to protecting workers and industries “during this difficult period”, adding that “coming to terms with this sobering reality” was the necessary first step.
“Above all, we will build a new Canadian economy. We will build Canada strong,” he affirmed.
The prime minister also revealed that US President Donald Trump had reached out to schedule a call.
“I appreciate this opportunity to discuss how we can protect our workers and build our economies.
“I will make clear to the president that those interests are best served by cooperation and mutual respect, including respect for our sovereignty,” he said.
Trump on Wednesday announced a 25 per cent tariff on cars and car parts imported into the US, warning on Thursday that if Canada and the European Union (EU) retaliated, further increases would follow.
In response, Carney suspended his election campaign to convene an emergency meeting of his Canada-US relations Cabinet committee, tasked with formulating a comprehensive response to the tariffs on foreign autos entering the US. – BERNAMA-ANADOLU